Check out our latest newsletters
- Negotiations Update - January 2020
- Negotiations Update - July 2020
- Negotiations Update - September 2021
April 05 2023: Ayoni Keh President Joseph Kochon Welcomes the Tabling of United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Implementation in the NWT Act.
On March 29, 2023, President Joseph Kochon and NWT leaders celebrated the tabling of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Implementation in the NWT Act in the NWT Legislative Assembly.
The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) describes internationally recognized rights of Indigenous peoples. By passing a law recognizing and implementing UNDRIP, the Government of the Northwest Territories has committed to working with NWT Indigenous Governments on an ongoing basis, to work together to plan and take action to ensure that all GNWT laws and policies respect Indigenous peoples’ rights, including implementing land claim and self government agreements.
Ayoni Keh Land Corporation and Behdzi Ahda” First Nation have been active participants in the co-development of the law, with their representatives working with the GNWT and other Indigenous Government representatives for the past year to develop the Act. The law is a priority of both the NWT Council of Leaders, and the 19th Legislative Assembly.
The Legislative Assembly members will consider the Act, and are expected to vote on whether it will become a law during the Summer of 2023.
- In the photo: "President Joseph Kochon speaking at the NWT Legislative Assembly. Photo: Gary Bailey, Vice President Northwest Territory Metis Nation; Joseph Kochon, President Ayoni Keh Land Corporation, GNWT Premier Caroline Cochrane, Ɂek’wahtı̨dǝ́ Danny Gaudet, Délįnę Got’įnę Government."
November 4, 2019
- Check out the Dehlá Got’ı̨ne Kǝdǝ workshop report from August 1, 2019 (held in Colville Lake) On August 1, 2019 in Colville Lake, N.T. during the Ayoni Keh Land Corporation and Behdzi Ahda” First Nation Annual General Assembly, the Dehla Got’ine Self Government team held a language workshop to confirm words including their, spellings, meanings and pronunciations for the Self Government Agreement in the Dehla Got’ine dialect. The workshop was facilitated by Jennifer Duncan.
Keep watching this page for information on the latest updates to the site and important negotiations news.